Tuesday, August 16, 2011

On the joy of taxes

Taxes is a sensitive issue. In the US many people see taxes as something that belongs inside the axes of evil. And in Sweden few people seem to enjoy paying tax. But I´m an exeption. Having received excellent care all three times I´ve given birth, seeing my children get great daycare and having enjoyed free university education simply makes me l i k e to pay income tax. I know that business taxes can be very hard for an entrepreneur. I also know the Swedish model is far from perfect, but at least very few people live on the streets. Therefore I smiled when I read super-rich philanthropist Warren Buffets op-ed in New York Times the other day. In the article Buffet argues for higher taxes and asks Washington to stop coddling the super-rich as if "we were spotted owls or some other endangered species". Go Warren!